Substantial Refurbishment Works to a ‘Positive Contributor’ in a Conservation Area
The property is a ‘Positive Contributor’ to the Dartmouth Park Conservation Area in the Highgate area of Camden.
Our client was purchasing the property subject to planning approval for a number of works to the property including for the replacement of a small rear extension with a larger alternative, provision of a terrace above the new rear extension, creation of a contemporary timber infill link from the existing property to the existing garage, the introduction of a mansard roof and changes to the fenestration including for the provision of a number of Crittal windows to the rear.
Through the use of historic imagery, we were able to successfully demonstrate that the proposal for the mansard roof extension was entirely appropriate on this prominent building, by seeking to re-instate lost parapet detailing that existed on the property pre-1904.
Despite local objection from surrounding residents and Residents Associations (and a request for listing of the property), we were able to demonstrate to both Historic England and to the Local Planning Authority that the entirety of works were designed in a manner sympathetic to the character and architectural language of the original house and to the surrounding area. The application was subsequently approved, and the property remains unlisted.
Since approval, we have been working with the client to discharge the outstanding condition relating to parapet detailing which we managed to negotiate in just 2 weeks.
Summary of achievements
- Preparation and submission of pre-application advice request, including meeting with planning officers
- Preparation and coordination of a planning application including for the liaison with co-consultants and for the preparation of a Planning and Heritage Statement and Design and Access Statement
- Successful monitoring and overall management of the project culminating in an approval for all elements without conceding on design (despite a request for spot listing)
- Discharge of 1 planning condition attached to the permission / consent within just 2 weeks
- Provision of strategic planning advice in respect of the rest of the property and its grounds