Barratt Homes Ltd
Paula Rosa, Storrington
During this process we liaised closely with Storrington Parish Council, who were also in the process of preparing a Neighbourhood Plan.
Planning Potential were responsible for devising a planning strategy on behalf of Barratt Homes, to bring forward the development of the former Paula Rosa Site in Storrington, Horsham for residential use.
The former Paula Rosa Site was designated as Strategic Employment Land within Horsham District Council’s development plan. Following extensive pre-application advice discussions with Horsham, we submitted a detailed planning application for 112 dwellings (later reduced to 97 following negotiations with the Council) and associated works in December 2015.
During this process we liaised closely with Storrington Parish Council, who were also in the process of preparing a Neighbourhood Plan. Following the submission of representations to various versions of the plan the site was successfully included as a potential housing site when submitted for Examination. Unfortunately, owing to reasons relating to other policies within the Neighbourhood Plan, it was found ‘unsound’ and was not progressed to referendum. Notwithstanding this, the Parish Council have amended the draft document and the site continues to be proposed as a housing allocation.
Throughout the process, Horsham had some concerns regarding the loss of the employment site to residential. Through detailed negotiations and the provision of additional marketing evidence, Planning Potential were able to secure agreement from the Council that the site was suitable for housing. Subsequently planning consent has been secured.
Summary of achievements
- Provision of pre-application advice
- Consultation with neighbours
- Liaison with Parish Council in relation to the Neighbourhood Plan.
- Co-ordination of the planning application submission
- Review of consultants’ documents prior to submission
- Preparation of a planning statement and design and access statement
- Monitoring the progress of the application
- Provision of strategic advice throughout the process
- Ongoing liaison with the planning authority through to delegated approval